Friday, September 26, 2008

Tweet Tweet

This week I opened my Twitter account; I’m soplibrarian, if you want to check me out. Twitter, for me, is slow to start. Unless you are bold or have a community out there, you have to take time to build your connections. I’m just now beginning to enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing. Since I don’t have Twitter connected to my phone (which I prefer), I think the more immediate connections are lost on me.

I searched twitter for the TV show I was watching at the time (The Mentalist) and found several people that liked it as much as I did. I searched for Girl Scouts, but I didn’t find anything that led me to other Girl Scout leaders, which is who I really wanted to connect with. I did find my undergrad, Allegheny College, has a Twitter account.

I searched for libraries on Twitter and found quite a few. Libraries are using Twitter for book discussion groups, immediate reference, updates on events, meetings and services. At the LPI Library in Houston, several Twitter posts were about the library’s status with power. It was just another venue to reach out to patrons.

I can’t say that I’m a huge fan of Twitter – maybe because my followers and following are not extensive. I also am looking for ways to disconnect some evenings when I’m at home. Some days we are so connected, I come home and want to get rid of all technology. I think it’s a useful tool to get quick hits on topics of interest and expanding networks.

No comments: