Thursday, September 18, 2008

RSS Part II -- Care & Feeding

This week, in spite of the electrical challenges (remind me not to choose to live in a hurricane zone), I did explore ways to feed my bloglines account. As suggested, I have played with the search feature in Bloglines, I checked out Topix, Syndic8.com and Technorati. It was easy to lose part of a day in these sites, one thing can really lead to another.

Out of all, I liked Technorati best, because it was more human interest-y. I found more blogs of interest there and found myself wanting to make comments (aka connections) with folks sharing the same interests (parenting, travel, food).

Topix was good if you need to get your news up to the minute and over the net. I don't. However, just the home page was a good place to visit for aggregated new stories, including really unusual headlines from around the world.

Syndica8 .com I found to be cluttered and really community driven, almost too much for my comfort. I also didn't like the look and feel of the site. I also didn't quite understand how the site functioned and in the fast pace of my work, I didn't have time to try to figure it out. Sad, I know.

The past two "things" have made me more aware of the online community and how to feed my bloglines account (which I confess to neglecting, it may whither and die at some point). I did learn to have my bloglines account open when I am exploring.

And when I find something like Cakewrecks (thanks to Blogger's scrolling blogs), I have a place to store it and access it wherever I may roam.

No comments: