Saturday, October 4, 2008

Library 2.0

Wikipedia defines Library 2.0 as user centered library services where users help create content and build community. I see Library 2.0 as where we are heading – meeting our customers’ needs where the need is greatest instead of making them come to us – and beyond.

We all have been there – the only time I get to really use my computer is after 10 pm when my child is finally asleep, and I’m in my PJs (I know, too much info). The world is now about my convenience instead of someone else’s timetable. Heck, I’ve even found positives with my boss having a Crackberry.

Providing service is not new to librarians; however, the way we deliver those services is what is shifting and librarians feel it. The disconcerting thing is the speed at which patrons not only wants the information, but the speed at which the delivery systems change. I found three main ideas from all the articles in the Learn & Play readings:
• Removing Barriers
• Creating Community
• Always Aware Technology

Libraries are more than books; they are communities and conversations (Dr. Wendy Schultz, To A Temporary Place In Time). Library 2.0 is the way libraries and librarians participate in the community and conversation. Intertwining the library into the fabric of the community is the way to sustain our libraries, and ultimately our democracy.

No comments: