Friday, October 24, 2008

And the winner is....

While not the Oscars, this week I explored almost ALL the Web 2.0 Awards nominees and even some in the databank of Web 2.0 applications as well. Some were useful, but I didn’t spend time with those which had costs associated with them. Here are my favorites:

MyHeritage: Geneology has long been an interest, so I had to try this. It was free, so I built a quick family tree which other family members can add to, expanding my research capacity, as well as being included in the social piece. I liked you could add photos, link in others’ family trees, and there was a search function I didn’t get to explore, but may be promising. In the quick moments on the site, I couldn’t find the privacy button, nor could I see my account, which was weird. I also couldn’t find how to make my ex-husband my ex, so it looks like I have two husbands. Let me know if you find it; I used sopranolibrarian for my screen name. I’m anxious for some feedback. In a library setting, you could use this on a Family History Day like CML just had, giving patrons hands on experience for building their family tree online.

.docstock: This is an administrative assistant’s dream! I was particularly impressed with the Creativity Link, which had oodles of powerpoint templates available. There was some drivel in each of the categories, but you can upload what you’re looking for or keep it in a folder on the docstock site. I didn’t create an account, but it has potential to be a good place to go when your boss says “Find me an RFP template,” instead of a web search, where there is even more drivel to wade through.

Imcooked: The place for budding Food Network TV stars to launch their careers! I was amused by this site; cooking is another one of my passions. This site was free, though I didn’t create an account there either; I was mostly interested in how it functioned and if it would be useful. If you're inclined, you can make your own cooking demo video and a whole community of foodies can watch you. I did find some cool new recipes, so I bookmarked this with my delicious tags.

Fixya: This site is a toolbox for just about anything. If you need something fixed, you create a post. Someone else on the site may know the answer and tell you how to fix it. It’s like a community of handymen, helpdesk gurus, and car folks. They proport to have a huge database of manuals, but I couldn’t think of one to look for. But now I know where to look. Good for librarians who get those reference questions on how to fix things.

I’ve tagged the Web 2.0 awards site, so I can continue to find applications to assist me at work and at home.

No comments: