Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Hyperlinked Library

Yesterday I had the pleasure of hearing Michael Stephens kick off CML's Learn & Play program and he had some really interesting points about libraries and the web. I think he gave two good reasons to participate in the Learn & Play program:
1. It's about making connections -- which, in my experience, is what makes work easier
2. It is not so much about keeping up with the web as it is participating in it.

I listened to the 7.5 habits of life long learners and realized that I've already developed most of the habits of life long learners -- I mean you don't enter graduate school 20 years after undergrad without having some of those habits. For me though, setting a goal is difficult; lots of times I just want to learn something new for no reason other than I have in interest. The easiest habit is how I learn best -- by doing -- by playing.

My dad lives in PA and recently retired. I shared with him about the Learn & Play program and he's interested. So we are going to do this program together; we are going to be connected even though we are not in the same city. What a cool thing!

2 comments:

Art Vandelay said...

That's so cool that your Dad is going to do this with you.

Megan said...

I just saw in your profile that you are going to be a Girl Scout leader. i was one last year and it was very fun! Yay!